Thursday, September 1, 2016

Training Day #1 Lisbon

Please bear with me on this blog post. Like last time I am having problems trying to insert pictures from iPad. Not wanting to waste hours of our much anticipated trip, until I get it right you will be seeing it warts and all.

Slept in til around 10 or so. This is after bodies waking up wide at 3am and thinking its time to party or have coffee or something hellishly annoying like that.   Jet lag. Love it.



John in the square. 


Made coffee got dressed. John picked good clothes for a pilgrim. I on the other hand tried putting together different things from my mono chromatic wardrobe (black) with anything of color I could find.

We started wih lunch at the Mercado do Campo Orinque, which is a really cool market with a great food court type set up. We chose carne, fresh grilled steak with two sauces and wedge fries. With a beer and glass of white wine, 12 €. It was delicious!

Started out thinking we'd walk to the cathedral where this Camino starts, just to scope it out.  To gps it will take us about 50 minutes. Yes, we plan to purchase the Viva Viagem cards that will allow us to ride public transport including the famed cable cars and funiculars. Today we are testing a few things. One being footwear. My extra pair of shoes are some smart looking Skechers with memory foam soles. By the time I got to the cathedral, kicking myself for not bringing my other optional flip flops or at least a pair of socks on this outing, I was sporting two nice blisters. Ugh. John took his socks off and heroically lent them to me since his Sacony walkers held up with or without socks. Good thing we are not on the real Camino yet.



Sat in the beautiful and cavernous cathedral so typical in these parts. John assured me that I did not look like the disheveled sweating homeless person I felt like. Did I mention think I'm sorely under packed?  It's pretty hot.

Glass of wine then out to scout dinner around 9pm. Places are crowded with waiting.  Decided to go back to the Mercado since we were starving and sampled tuna steak, fish soup and salad.  All delicious.  Sat next to an engaging and interesting young couple from Montreal, Evan and Alex, our kids ages.  Turns out Evan and John have much entrepreneurial skills and history in common.  Tomorrow is another day.



1 comment: